gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
572363 Posts in 510035 Topics by 8218 Members - Latest Member: zaq003 October 16, 2019, 07:48:42 am
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: The NoX2 Project goes public  (Read 176998 times)
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

E-Cock: 128

« on: August 28, 2009, 04:22:44 pm »

Well, the day has come

I'm working on what I've always wanted to try to do, a fully featured 3d engine capable of supporting just about any type of game I choose to create. On the path to creating this engine the easiest, already designed, and with content creation capable fans, project there is for me would be a NoX2.

So I'm doing my best to make it a reality, granted the project may fail, it may never get off the ground. However the experience of trying and doing this is going to be worth it regardless of where the project ends up in the end.

There are plenty of examples of fan communities remaking and re-releasing older games with improved content, updated engines, and even better game play. I don't see a reason why NoX couldn't live through the same kind of re-invisioning that TA (The Spring Project), Fallout2 (The FA Engine), and numerous other games have gone through.

So today I release the very first engine demo for people to play with, it doesn't do much yet except draw a level with some small minor movement and a basic physics engine, however I am at the point where I need to do hardware testing and releasing it is the quickest way to resolve that problem.

Check the "Latest Demo Feedback" board for the download and installation instructions, provide bug reports and shit too me as well if you would please.

The SVN release WILL NOT be released yet except to a few trusted helpers as it is far too unsorted at the moment. At a future date the link will be provided and the main trunk will even be open to revision to a core team with patches accepted by whoever feels like joining in.

Project / Engine Details:

Renderer: Irrlicht Engine

Device Input: Irrlicht Engine

Physics: NVIDIA Physx Library

Sound: IrrKlang Plugin

Networking: *Undecided* -> Leaning towards Raknet

AI: *Undecided* -> Have IrrAI but might go for OpenAI instead

Level format: 3D World Studio Implementation

Shader Format: CG language for cross compatibility but HLSL load natively as well with .XML definitions

Scripting Language: LUA <- not implemented yet
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:59:42 pm by Morden Tral » Logged

Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:39:32 pm »

*Note* During this moment in time the only *Help* most could provide me with would be to give opinions, help me judge the public interest, and help me layout and detail the next steps. Providing a "resume" or "list of skills" in the board for it would go a long way towards letting the core team know what kind of support you could provide.

Thank you

#zx.pr0jk
Global Moderator
1337+

E-Cock: 203

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:00:56 am »

Finally something worth doing.

Everyone, are you ready for doom? Because I blacken the sun and bloody the moon.
bliz
VIP
Great

E-Cock: 20

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 02:40:30 pm »

Lets fucking do (and by lets, I mean get to work Morden) it.

If I can do anything to help let me know
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:57:43 pm by bliz » Logged

Evengard
Goon
Apprentice

E-Cock: 0

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:12:44 pm »

Sounds great ) but just some questions...
1. What do you mean by "engine"? There is a large number of open source engines... Or you mean the game logic engine?
2. It will be licensed under GPL? BSD? Smth else?
3. Will it be crossplatform? I think it will be a great experience for Linux users... Windows sucks Smiley (IMHO, I am a Linux user )) )
4. The demo is available only to the owners of Nvidia or physx is just some libraries with no driver relation?
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:45:42 pm »

Sounds great ) but just some questions...
1. What do you mean by "engine"? There is a large number of open source engines... Or you mean the game logic engine?
2. It will be licensed under GPL? BSD? Smth else?
3. Will it be crossplatform? I think it will be a great experience for Linux users... Windows sucks Smiley (IMHO, I am a Linux user )) )
4. The demo is available only to the owners of Nvidia or physx is just some libraries with no driver relation?

I'm making my OWN engine
Licensing is limited by the libraries I am using, this has to be decided once I have all of them decided on
Crossplatform yes, although initially I won't be testing it as such
Anyone but you need nvidia cards for the hardware accelleration

Evengard
Goon
Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 08:40:50 pm »

Thank you for the answers! When there will be the Linux build - I am ready to test it Smiley
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:56:53 am »

BTW quick notice, project is still underway. Just coding up the back bone of shit so it's not really at a new testing phase or anything.

#zx.pr0jk
Global Moderator
1337+

E-Cock: 203

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:31:08 am »

Check this thread to see how animations and effects will progress in the coming months. Updates will be sporadic.

3D Jack animations

Morden, those models of the scout you sent me, please import them to bender and export them as obj/3ds. 3ds max plugins for valve formats haven't had a very good track record not to mention my network woes. All I want is the hatless scout.

I'm working on removing his bag without breaking the model now. If I find a clean way to do that, I might shave his head and animate some flowing locks while he's holding a greatsword.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:34:53 am by mod.prophet » Logged

Everyone, are you ready for doom? Because I blacken the sun and bloody the moon.
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:38:38 pm »

Will have to do that from home, have to update my TF2 to do that.

Oh also they never released the animation sources for the characters btw, only just released heavy two days ago.

Lavitz
NEWB

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 10:18:17 am »

Cool Smiley Can't wait!
.:AXF:.
VIP
Veteran

"Hèavy Mët࣠Rµ£és"

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 08:13:15 pm »

what the hell !?
WHAT THE HELL ?!?!!
WHAT THE HELL ?!?!!

Gods made Heavy Metal
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 01:26:42 pm »

WELL HI AXF!!!!!!!!

update btw, working on a new particle system, don't like the one included with irrlicht so redoing it from the ground up. Still a lot of backbone stuff too work on but at least I know that hardware isn't going to be much of an issue after pretty much everyone ran it fine.

.:AXF:.
VIP
Veteran

"Hèavy Mët࣠Rµ£és"

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 06:24:00 pm »

Nice too see the Nox community is still alive 'n well  cool

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MORDENGINE !!

Gods made Heavy Metal
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+