gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
572363 Posts in 510035 Topics by 8218 Members - Latest Member: zaq003 July 15, 2019, 08:55:56 pm
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Map Editor Update Thread  (Read 53695 times)
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

E-Cock: 128

« on: June 08, 2009, 05:48:01 pm »

Well I've been bored at work, and decided that messing around with the map editor would be a good place to remove my boredom.

I'll update this thread as changes are made, you can also check out the "Updates" menu item in the map editor after an update to see additional changes I may have made and not specified in here.

BTW, this thread is locked, don't try and reply to it, it is just here for me to post the updates.

Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:57:42 pm »

June, 08, 2009

Wow almost 2 years later to the day since last update

1. Updated compilation per zoaedks fix so the map editor works with Vista 64 bit now.
2. Revised map flip / map mirror functions, made them useful
3. Working on adding in all defaults for every item and possibly all mod editors for every item

Am now taking requests for additional content while I'm still interested.

Massive new feature made out of a defunct and useless menu item I had

Introducing - Map flipping and auto copy

Now under the menu Map->Operations->Spin map I have added a new feature to save arena / ctf / elim map makers some time.

This feature will automatically copy and reverse every wall and item on one axis side of the map and duplicate it to the other. This means if you are making a symmetrical map you only need to build one side of it now and then auto flip it over, all of the walls will be lined up perfectly and all of the objects will move over as well.

Now before you all go fucking up your maps, this feature does not do the same to tiles or waypoints. This was required because usually symmetrical maps don't have the same tile maps on both sides AND it was going to be hell to do those what with the extra options and shit.

Pictures of what I mean is linked below so you'll get it better, and this feature isn't officially in until you get an update on the editor, so please please please don't use either of the old shitty versions before I update ok?

You'll also need to run an extents re-ordering after this operation so don't forget to re-assign teleporters and the like the new extents of their linked exits/entrances.

Reynold (Teh Pirate!)
VIP
1337+

E-Cock: 53

OLDSCHOOL AVA YO

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »

easier walling/tiling system would be nice, better click+drag thing

morden is son of bitch
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:06:44 pm »

Mmmm, this is here to remind me to add in an option to select an alternative wall material for the flipped side before flipping.

Just realized most of the symmetrical maps have two different wall materials on either side.

#zx.pr0jk
Global Moderator
1337+

E-Cock: 203

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 06:18:44 pm »

Make a toggle for blending that just breaks all the tiles down into fourths. Center crosshair of the original tile remains and is the representative color of the tile it was. Fourths have edges representative of their tile blend. This way, edges that are meant to align with a solid tile will match. This option would greatly increase the speed of blending since that is one of the major time vacuums when making a map.

Account for saved templates. Using the mouse to crop a range on the editor, have the option to save everything selected including tiles and item modifiers to be pasted elsewhere in the map.

Can't really think of a way to improve scripting other than let the scripting window expand to the right. Just tried it and it only expands down. If you could make comments usable outside of assigning a global variable, that would be convenient.

Of the suggestions, I'd really like the first one implemented and the third one is probably just a bug.

Everyone, are you ready for doom? Because I blacken the sun and bloody the moon.
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 06:22:52 pm »

The problem with having scripting comments is that any non gvariable comments would have to be stored in an extra file. Since the map itself cannot contain the comments within it.

See the problem?

*Edit* Also a revised wording  / graphical representation of your blending crap would be appreciated. You didn't exactly phrase it in a way that makes sense outside of your head.

I'll do it if you could clarify just what it is.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:27:03 pm by Morden Tral » Logged

#zx.pr0jk
Global Moderator
1337+

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 06:28:15 pm »

Address the whole post. I was only really concerned with the tiling and the expansion. Everything else was just a suggestion.
Posted on: 13:25:57, 08 June 2009
Get in vent for better explanation.

Everyone, are you ready for doom? Because I blacken the sun and bloody the moon.
Reynold (Teh Pirate!)
VIP
1337+

E-Cock: 53

OLDSCHOOL AVA YO

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:48:54 pm »

with scripting and shit you could just put all the extra data in the comments section but block it off somehow

morden is son of bitch
#zx.pr0jk
Global Moderator
1337+

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 06:53:23 pm »

Example of how I want to see blended tiles representing. In your head rotate it 45 degrees. All the quadrants would share their color with the tile they are derived from. For example, a brick floor blend would be grey like the actual tile.

Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 06:58:23 pm »

uh, no

I scaled to multiple tiles to show why (it would be worse with them the same color. I think you forget that floor tiles are smaller as well and no-one is going to want to look at that.

Also uploaded what I would rather do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:02:55 pm by Morden Tral » Logged

Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 06:59:49 pm »

BTW, your idea roughly to scale

*Edit* plus a not so accurate picture of what I'd rather do
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:05:57 pm by Morden Tral » Logged

#zx.pr0jk
Global Moderator
1337+

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:15:12 pm »

You must be willfully ignoring three points.

1) This is a request from a person that does use the map editor and is aware of the consequences of what a change would cause. I know what I think every time I blend a map. It's hours of place, load, check, replace, load, check. Don't tell me what I'll find annoying because I've thought about this for a while. And guess what I found to be annoying.

2) The colors of the example are not representative of the actual situation. With our current scheme, we could put a bunch of unlike tiles together and call it cluttered, in reality, the tiles are all similar that get placed near each other. The example was made to make the edges easy to see, the size of the rectangles could obviously be scaled. A more realistic example would be consisting of about 5 colors, two to three different center quadrant colors and two to three edge tile colors.

3) You don't use the editor and you have no idea what people do and don't want to look at. Not to mention I suggested it as an option in the first place. Want to call something a bad idea? Ask Teddy, Templar, Myself, and to make my point inclusive, name the other people that make maps because I'd like to talk to them.

At this point you seem to be trying to say it's a bad idea based on the thickness of the edges. Why? Adjust the thickness as needed. Don't make all the lines grey.

Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:52 pm »

Because I'm telling you it is a bad idea, and I'm not going to do it your way if I think it is a bad idea. It would take a hell of a lot of convincing to tell me that dropping an already small tile into 5 even smaller tile sections and then blending them all together with their surroundings is a good way to go about that.

If I am going to place a better edging indicator into the map editor then I'm damn well going to do it in a way that I think works better then that. You always have the option of doing it yourself if you want it a certain way.

Don't get insulted when I tell you I don't like your implementation, I'm trying it my way first, and if it doesn't work then I'll play around with it more, I'm giving you your option, it jsut might not be exactly how you want it unless somehow it ends up working better (but it won't).

Also I don't give a damn if you use it all the time, I used to use the thing a lot as well and I for one would never turn on an option that did that to my tiles.

KnightTemplar
Arch

E-Cock: 16

NoX Map Maker

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 07:35:58 pm »

Make it so drawing tiles is a toggle, so that I don't have to guess where to place my walls. It'd allow me to map faster.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Stop posting and fucking blow your brains out
Morden Tral
Administrator
1337+

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 05:42:08 am »

I didn't change anything about scripting, explain please

*Edit* Ah, nvm, I see the error and I know why it is there.

I forgot to fully retest scripting after I went looking for a bug prophet mentioned, it's trying to access an object that isn't there anymore.
Don't worry, it's a 20 second fix and I'll package it in tomorrow with whatever updates I'll add.

Keeping this here so I don't forget in a few hours. Also need to remember to reset the global file path for the modeditor menu item after loading a map.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx